DISSERTATION OF THE YEAR AWARDDEADLINE FOR 2023 NOMINATIONS FOR THE DISSERTATION OF THE YEAR IS september 15, 2023
of the Year Winner
Carmen Poston-Farmer Travis, Ed.D.
This award bestows recognition to an individual whose doctoral dissertation excels in making a substantial contribution to the literature and/or practice of community college student development. A substantial contribution is defined as dissertation research that makes a major contribution to the literature on community college student development, revises understanding of a researchable problem associated with community college student development, or looks at community college student development in a new way. The dissertation may also be an interdisciplinary effort that identifies a research problem new to the field. Dissertations utilizing a diversity of methodological approaches are encouraged. Only dissertations judged to be truly outstanding will be recognized regardless of the number of dissertation manuscripts submitted. Recipients need not be members of NCSD to be selected for this award.
Nominations will be adjudicated based on the following criteria:
- Timeliness of research (published in 2022 or later)
- Significance and/or originality of the problem and research questions pertaining to community college student development
- Relevant and appropriate use of theory/theories or a theoretical or conceptual framework
- Comprehensiveness and appropriateness of the literature review
- Detailed and creative use of qualitative, quantitative or mixed methods
- Quality or soundness of the data analysis
- Comprehensibility and meaningfulness of the results
- Significance of the study to theory and/or practice
- Dissertation nominees should submit an online submission form providing the following information:
- Dissertation author’s name and contact information.
- Title of the dissertation, date completed, and dissertation director.
- A brief description of the dissertation exceeding no more than 500 words. May be the dissertation abstract or a synopsis of such.
- Provide a link to an online version of your study.
- Submit a letter of support by the dissertation director addressing the exemplary features of the study not to exceed 2 pages.
- Awardees will be recognized at the NCSD National Conference in October.
DEADLINE FOR 2023 NOMINATIONS FOR
THE DISSERTATION OF THE YEAR IS SEPTEMBER 15, 2023